Just off the south coast of the UK, the Isle of Wight is closer than you think – just 1 1/2 hours from London by car. Here is all the information you need to get to the port, across the water and then reach your apartment.
Getting To The Island
The island is served by three main ports – Portsmouth, Southampton and Lymington. All the ports are well connected to the motorway network with the M3 and A3 connecting into the area.
When reaching the ports, there are the following services available:
- Wightlink – Portsmouth to Fishbourne: Wightlink (wightlink.co.uk) offer a 45 minute car ferry service from Gunwharf in Portsmouth over to Fishbourne on the island. In addition to the car decks, there are also passenger lounges with seating areas, an observation deck to enjoy the views across the Solent and a cafe bar onboard, as well as toilet facilities. Services are normally hourly with additional services during the peak season.
- Red Funnel – Southampton to East Cowes: Red Funnel (redfunnel.co.uk) offer a 55 to 60 minute car ferry service from Terminal 1 at Town Quay in Southampton to East Cowes on the island. In addition to the car decks, there are passenger lounges, a promenade deck to enjoy your view, onboard shop for coffee and gifts, ReFuel cafe restaurants and Steam cafe bars, Signature Lounge, free wifi and charging points, as well as toilet facilities. Services are hourly during peak season and every 90 minutes during winter months.
- Wightlink – Lymington to Yarmouth: Wightlink (wightlink.co.uk) offer a 40 minute car ferry services from Lymington to Yarmouth on the island. In addition to the car deck, there are passenger lounges, open decks and a cafe bar onboard, as well as toilet facilities. Services are approximately hourly all year round.
|Top Tip It is advisable to book ahead of time for all car ferry services and check how far in advance you need to arrive before your ferry.|
Discount On Your Ferry Crossing
Shanklin Holiday Homes are able to offer 15% discount on all three car ferry routes to the Isle of Wight. When booking online, you will be asked if you would like a code to allow you to receive a discount on your ferry booking and also which route you would like it for. For more information, visit our discount ferry tickets page.
On The Island
There is a wide network of roads across the island that serves all major tourist attractions, accommodation and other key locations. When at your apartment, the nearest petrol stations are Morrisons in Lake, Esso in Sandown and Gulf in Godshill and electric charging point at
- Shanklin: Orchardleigh Road car park
- Lake: New Road car park and Morrison’s
- Sandown: St John’s Road car park
- Ventnor: Central car park, Ventnor Botanic Gardens, on street at Victoria Street and Trinity Road
- Apse Heath: Raj’s Premier
- Bembridge: on street outside Bembridge Parish Council on Foreland Road
When travelling around the island, there are a number of council run car parks. A full list is available on iow.gov.uk along with tariffs. The parking meters take cash, cards (not all locations) as well as paybyphone’s phone or app payments.
Last Updated: 09/06/2023