|3 to 5 people per apartment + travel cot (total for building: 20 guests)||2 to 3 bedrooms per apartment||Main bathroom + ensuites/WC in selected apartments|
Highlands takes its name from the imposing Victorian residence that stood on the cliff top site for over 100 years. Originally built for the Lord Mayor of London, Sir James Thomson Ritchie, and subsequently used by Reverend William Page Roberts, Bishop of Salisbury, for his final years, it was later owned by the McAuslane family, who turned it into a well known hotel. After its closure, it was then used by Upper Chine School for its final years.
After being left for a decade, the current Highlands was then constructed, a grand and impressive mock Georgian manor house that lived up to its predecessor in terms of scale and views across Shanklin. However, it was never finished and derelict, open to the elements, for a decade. Now, after an extensive refurbishment and conversion, it is now restored into 5 spacious, luxurious apartments.
Each of the apartments offer their own quirks and special features, from the penthouse’s unique roof top conservatory and balcony with its fantastic views to the annexe’s duplex apartment, the property is spread across four levels from the garden to the penthouse with annexe to side. The property benefits from spectacular panoramic sea, town and countryside views around the building, going across to Sandown Bay, Shanklin town and the Downs towards Ventnor.
All of the apartments benefit from oak furniture and leather sofas, oak floored living areas with fitted kitchens with granite worktops and all your key appliances, 32″ LED TV with Freesat and DVD and free wifi. Communal gardens are available for all apartments to enjoy with seating available alongside off road parking and cycle parking bays.
The details for each apartment are as follows (for more pictures, see the galleries linked on the right):
- Apartment 1: Upside down duplex apartment accessed via own entrance directly from your car parking space with a ramp to road and direct access to the communal garden. King and bunked bedroom with Jack and Jill bathroom on ground floor. Loft kitchen, WC and living area with dining on first floor.
- Apartment 2: Ground floor apartment accessed via communal area with double with ensuite, twin and single bedrooms. Bathroom, kitchen/diner and curved living area with direct access to communal garden.
- Apartment 3: First floor apartment accessed via communal area with double with ensuite and twin bedrooms. Bathroom, kitchen/diner and curved living area.
- Apartment 4: Second floor loft penthouse apartment accessed via communal area on first floor with double and single bedrooms. Bathroom, kitchen/dinner and conservatory on roof living area with private balcony with views over Sandown Bay.
- Apartment 5: Garden floor apartment accessed via own entrance and direct access to communal garden. King with ensuite and twin bedrooms. Bathroom and open plan lounge/dining/kitchen.
The property is found on the coastal path between Shanklin and Sandown and just down the road from National Trust land and Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty. It is also a few minutes walk from the picturesque Old Village and its thatched cottages, plus shops, pubs, restaurants and the main town, as well as the cliff top, Esplanade and Shanklin’s beaches.
In addition to booking an individual apartment, you can also book multiple apartments to accommodate your party of 3 to 20 guests.
To book multiple apartments, either book the individual apartments you require or get in touch so we can assist.
||Garden to second floor apartments|
||Lounge and dining/kitchen|
||Balcony and direct garden access to selected apartments|
||Communal garden for all apartments|
||Car and Bicycle|
||Travel cot and high chair available|
|Included||Linen, duvets, towels (bring your own tea towels, oven gloves and beach towels), electric, electric heating, hot water|
||Sorry, no pets|
||Sorry, no smoking|